Microsoft Core CAL Enhancements
Wednesday 10th August 2011
What is a Core CAL Suite?
The Core CAL is a suite of CAL's comprising of:
- Windows Server CAL (File server)
- Exchange – (E-mail)
- SharePoint (Collaboration)
- System Center Configuration Manager (Software Distribution and Management Server)
It is important to note that these CAL's can all be purchased individually without SA. If you are purchasing Core CAL under any volume licensing scheme it can only be purchased with SA.
Enhancements to the Core CAL Suite
There are two new additions – Lync Server and Forefront Endpoint Protection.
New Core CAL pricing and use rights 1st August 2011
From a licensing perspective, Core CAL components are not available as standalone products under Enterprise Agreements. Consequently, Lync Server Standard CAL and Forefront Endpoint Protection were no longer available on Enterprise Agreement price lists from 1st June.
- Pricing for Core CAL will increase
- Pricing for the ECAL step-up from Core CAL will decrease
- Pricing for full ECAL stack will remain unchanged
Estimated EA price changes for Core CAL
Procurement Considerations: Select / Select Plus
- Customers looking to renewal existing Core CAL SA or make new purchases of Core CAL prior to 31st July will benefit from current pricing
- Customers with existing Core CAL prior to 31st July will automatically get the two new components at no extra charge
- Select pricing is variable, Core CAL pricing after 1st August will increase and can change through-out the term of the Select / Select Plus contract
- Customers with Core CAL prior to 31st July will also be able to purchase step-up licenses to ECAL from 1st August at the reduced amount
- Pricing below is sample Band A Select / Select Plus – based upon Core CAL purchases made before 1st August 2011 compared to those made after
Procurement Considerations: Enterprise or Enterprise Subscription
- Customers looking to renew an existing or start a new Enterprise Agreement and are looking at Professional Desktop and / or Core CAL before 31st July will benefit from current Core CAL pricing
- Customers with existing Core CAL prior to 31st July 2011 will automatically get the two new components at no extra charge
- EA pricing is fixed at the beginning of the agreement
- Customers with Core CAL prior to 31st July 2011 under an EA will be able to True-up additional users at the pre – 1st August 2011 price (until the agreement expires)
- Pricing below is sample B and A EA Pricing based upon Pro Desktop and Core CAL purchases made before 1st August 2011 compared to those made after
Core CAL Enhancements: Key Points to Consider
- Lync Server Standard CAL and Forefront Enterprise Protection (FEP) will be part of Core CAL from 1st August 2011
- Existing customers will automatically gain the license entitlement to these products
- After 1st August 2011 there will be a pricing impact for renewals dependent on whether you have Core CAL &/or Pro Desktop
- New Core CAL customers can benefit from existing pricing pre 1st August 2011
- Existing Core CAL customers reviewing ECAL suite should work with their Bytes Account Manager and Microsoft business manager to discuss impact of purchases pre 1st August 2011
For further information on how these changes will affect your organisation please speak to your Bytes account manager or a member of the new business team on 020 8786 1500.
For general Microsoft Licensing schemes click here.
Want to keep informed? Sign up to our Newsletter